- Twitter ‘Industry’ Bullshit
25 Jan 2021
Here’s a trend I’m seeing on Twitter recently. These kind of “influencer” guys posting tweetstorms that get thousands of likes and RTs… Part of me feels jealous. I spend a lot of time on Twitter and try to share valuable things, but I don’t have results like that.
- Federated development and federated forges
23 Jan 2021
I’m very new to federation. Over the years I heard rumors that it was good without understanding why and how. I ran a mastodon instance for a few years but did not use it much: I’m a developer and not much of a microblogger (reading or writing).
- How to instantly show your value
8 Jan 2021
I’ve compiled my favorite ways to convey your product’s value prop. These apply to products and brands, but feel free to apply this to people too. These work for job interviews, selling yourself as a consultant, etc.
- Advanced Technical SEO: How social image sharing works and how to optimize your og:image tags
4 Jun 2020
Optimizing how content looks when it’s shared on social media has many benefits. But it’s not as simple as just picking a great social image!
- The unreasonable effectiveness of simple HTML
26 Jan 2021
I’ve told this story at conferences – but due to the general situation I thought I’d retell it here. A few years ago I was doing policy research in a housing benefits office in London.
- Data Fetching on the Web Still Sucks
It’s 2021, and data fetching on the web still sucks. This is crazy!
- Twitter’s Birdwatch is Fundamentally Flawed
27 Jan 2021
The fatal flaw of Birdwatch’s current design and how it can be fixed.
- The Pros and Cons of DRY Code
25 Jan 2021
Clean code is like clean garbage - it’s only truly clean if it doesn’t exist. In other words, the only clean code is no code.